Saint Charles, resting on
500 acres in Carthagena, Ohio, is the central house for the Cincinnati
Province of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood. This apostolic community
of priests and brothers was founded on August 15, 1815, by St. Gaspar del
Bufalo, in Rome, Italy, and began missionary service in the United States in
Several hundred acres were purchased in 1861 by the Missionaries of the
Precious Blood to provide for a seminary for Precious Blood priests and
brothers. The main building was completed in 1922. The beautiful Romanesque
chapel, built in 1906 and subsequently remodeled, is attached to the center
rear of the building. The seminary closed in 1969 and the building was named
St. Charles Center, primarily a home for active and retired priests and
In 2006, the main building was
renovated into independent apartments for people age 55 and above, religious
and laity, and is now known as the Saint Charles Senior Living Community.
Copyright ©1999-2012, St. Charles Missionaries of the Precious Blood,
C.PP.S. All rights reserved.